HASDC’s Camp Firefly has been serving the youth of San Diego and Imperial Counties for over 20 years. Camp Firefly is a week-long residential summer camp, located in Big Bear, CA, hosted by the Hemophilia Association of San Diego County in partnership with Rady Children’s Hospital Hemophilia & Thrombosis Treatment Center. Camp Firefly serves campers affected with hemophilia, von Willebrand’s disease, platelet disorders, and other rare chronic bleeding disorders from San Diego and Imperial Counties.
WHO CAN ATTEND CAMP?
HASDC’s Camp Firefly is for campers, ages 7-14, diagnosed with a bleeding disorder (given priority), carriers and their siblings. Campers must be 7-years old on the first day of camp in order to attend. Siblings must attend with their affected sibling in order to attend. Campers must independently manage all personal care and mobility. Those living within San Diego & Imperial Counties will be given priority.
WHY ATTEND CAMP?
Camp Firefly provides youth with the tools they need to overcome the challenges presented to them by their disorder as well as lead healthy, vibrant and more importantly, full lives. By attending Camp Firefly, campers will gain independence, connect with peers, experience bleeding disorder education and attend self-infusion training provided by our local HTTC staff. Learning to self-infuse is an important rite of passage for children living with a bleeding disorder as most often their parents have performed this task since they were infants. Learning self-infusion is a critical step towards gaining independence.
Professional medical staff from Rady Children’s Hospital Hemophilia & Thrombosis Treatment Center are on site for duration of the camp program.
Each camper is to pay a non-refundable $25.00 registration fee. Additional camp costs are underwritten by grants and funds raised by HASDC’s Unite for Bleeding Disorders Walk.
DATES | TIMES
July 24 – 28, 2023 | YMCA Camp Oakes (Big Bear, CA)
*Staff to arrive on Sunday, July 23, 2023 (mandatory)
July 24, 2023 | Camper Drop-Off
Campers will meet at HASDC’s office for camp check-in and go through a medical check. Campers will be taking a charter bus from HASDC’s office to YMCA Camp Oakes.
July 28, 2023 | Camper Pick-Up
Campers will be brought back to HASDC’s office via charter bus. Please make sure to pick-up our camper on time.
Please make sure you have all the required camper information, including health information and documents, provided below, ready to upload, before completing your application.
You will need to provide and/or upload the following documents:
- HASDC Physicians Form: to be completed by your local Hemophilia Treatment Center (HTC). Date of your child’s last comprehensive visit with the HTC but be within 12-months of the first day of camp (July 10) OR completed by primary care physician (if child does not have a bleeding disorder) showing physical examination within 12-months of the first day of camp (July 10).
- Medications: complete list of medications your child takes (includes but not limited to factor, other prescription meds, over the counter medications, inhalers, etc.)
- Insurance Card: copy of your child’s insurance card, front and back.
- Immunization Records: a copy of your child’s immunization records, signed and validated by your primary care physician. The following immunizations/vaccinations are required: DTap (Diphtheria/Tetanus/Pertussis), MMR (Measles/Mumps/Rubella), Measles, Varicella (chicken pox), Polio, Hepatitis A & B, and COVID-19 (highly recommended).
- COVID-19 Vaccination (highly recommended): if your child is vaccinated against COVID-19, please provide a copy of your child’s COVID-19 vaccination card. Camp Firefly highly encourages participants to be vaccinated against COVID-19. We follow the guidelines of the CDC, State of California, and recommendations from the Hemophilia & Thrombosis Treatment Center at Rady Children’s Hospital.
Registration is NOW OPEN!
Registration Deadline: June 30, 2023
If you are interested in applying for a staff position at Camp Firefly, please click below and complete our staff application. Please note: ALL staff MUST arrive on Sunday, July 23, 2023 (mandatory) and are responsible for their own transportation to YMCA Camp Oakes. We are unable to accept applications for those who are not available on this date.
Registration Deadline: June 16, 2023